Monday, August 17, 2020

Your right to freeze peach

I have two peach trees (also some pear trees). I don't really do much to maintain them, just mulch and mow around them. I haven't done as much pruning as the official recommendations, but I've come to think those are just superstition. I got an incredible yield this year, the branches bending down to the ground. I had the neighbors come over to pick them, actually two sets of neighbors, and they took all they wanted and I took some for myself and I've still got peaches galore. I'm trying to recruit additional people to give them away to -- maybe it's a way to meet more of the neighbors.

 Anyway, fruit trees are definitely a good investment. Pears need very little attention. I understand it's pretty much impossible to do apples organically, but I've never used any chemicals on my trees and I get some insect-damaged fruit but not enough to really matter. Maybe the bugs just haven't found me yet but so far it's been a pretty free ride.

If you have a yard, you should try it. You can get dwarf varieties that don't take up much space. And they have beautiful blossoms in the spring -- they're just as ornamental as they are edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment